Monday 21 April 2014

This cake is NOT a lie.


So I'm back!
Mostly because I just found out I can blog via my phone! I have to admit, the thought of waiting for the laptop to start up and the time it takes to download + edit all my stuff was enough to put me off for a while but now it's soooo much easier! Dude, this is gonna be sooo sweet...

LIKE THIS SEXY CAKE ALEX AND I MADE:

Companion heart cube cake icing, portal game

 My fella (The Orange Gamer) wanted to participate in my next game-inspired cake, so I asked him what he'd be most interested in re-creating. He had been trying to decide for about two days when it hit him that a cute little project for us both to work on might be Portal's adorable Companion Cube!

Here's how we went about it:

---------------------

In the beginning, there was Jamaica Ginger Cake. 

Two Mcvitie's Jamaica Ginger cakes

We gathered enough to cover a small mountain (if a small mountain could be covered with four cakes) and formed with them a two layer rectangle.

Two layers of McVitie's Jamaica Ginger cake

Alex severed the top and then the sides too, in his vicious quest to create the shape he had envisioned.


Once the swordsman was happy with his work, I made a start on my own duties, which first involved fashioning an edible river to flood our masterpiece's deep, voluptuous curves...

Because they were so hot, a weaker person might get caught in its beauty and find themselves stuck there gazing for an eternity.

I chose to make this river from Silver Spoon icing sugar and water. Mixing in a novelty egg cup is optional, but cute as all hell. Look how alarmed his face is!

cake life hack, filling gaps, silver spoon icing sugar, egg cup
We used a tiny amount of icing sugar with water and a little of the excess cake to fill the gap and create an even, flat top.
I gathered up my poisons:

renshaw's ready to roll icing, tesco fondant, gell food colouring, Dr. Oetker
We used ready-to-roll fondant icing from Tesco, Dr. Oetker Gel Food Colour available at most supermarkets, and Renshaw's ready-to-roll colour icing that we also picked up at a Tesco Extra.


A scientist I became, or maybe even a sorcerer, as I dashed about mixing this and that, kneeding where needed...

Tesco fondant icing, Dr. Oetker gel food colouring black
I added in the black gel food colouring slowly and regularly checked with Alex if the right shade had been reached.


Once we had bent the sugary mass to our will, we beat it flat with a rolling pin and sliced it to size like the mountain we were going to make it lay across.


Flat top two layer iced cake, fondant grey
I smeared some more of the icing sugar+water mix along the underside of the coloured fondant icing to make it adhere better to the cake.
 Once it was looking nice and pretty, I marked out where it's clothes should go then I made it some panties, so it would learn who it's master was.

cut icing shapes
The panties are actually important! They make the perfect edges for our cake! I had to make some to fit my edge template, and then some smaller sets to give the 3D effect shown below. Heh, panties.
 Okay, uh... I got so stuck into decorating the cake and the fact we were losing light that I forgot to take a few progress photos, but between then and the next photo, all I did was stick edges on with icing sugar and then double everything up with slightly smaller shapes to give thicker icing. Then I cut out circles to place on each side.

Cake progress
I coloured the hearts with a little of the red from the coloured Renshaw's icing blocks mixed in with regular white fondant icing.
After this I started marking and cutting channels (with toothpicks because I'm hardcore as anything) leading out from the heart circles, removing icing from them as I went:
 
Cutting into icing

 I filled these channels with thinly-rolled stems of pink icing. I didn't have any red food colouring to hand so I made these by mixing small blobs of red icing with some of the Tesco white fondant icing, the same way I made the hearts.

I also rolled some other thin pieces of white icing and went over all the corners to create a nicer looking edge.
 

 After this, we both took loads of photos, fondled it a little and gazed lovingly at the companion cube we had made for ourselves in cake form, before eating it. So much. We ate ALL of that hotstuff.

Fully iced finished gamer portal cake
Fully iced and finished - YUM!

 So I hope you liked that, I've got a ton of future cakes planned so keep checking back and if you've got something you'd like me to try to make please let me know!
I'll happilly give anything a go!

You can contact me either through twitter at @minusonegaming
 or email at minusonegaming@yahoo.com

Be sure to drop by Alex's blog The Orange Gamer by clicking [HERE]
or following him on twitter at @TheOrangeGamer5

No comments:

Post a Comment