Wednesday 4 September 2013

Maybe I'm just that superficial.


Recent news of Nintendo launching a '2DS' first got me giggling. "Are they for real?" I chuckled at my laptop screen. Then I saw it.

Oh gosh. It's beautiful.

It doesn't do anything the 3DS can't. We have a 3DS here and on the rare occasion I pick it up, I would ALWAYS use it in 2D as that function is easily turned off with the slide of a.. slider. And the 3D hurts my eyes.

Aside from just not having the capability to play things in 3D, the difference lies mainly in the appearance of this gorgeous hunk of retro-styled candy.

Nintendo 2DS black and blue, wedge.
Source: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/handheld-consoles/nintendo-2ds-1176863/review

Its blocky, candybar design with combined with the classic D-pad result in the perfect crossover between Nintendo's current generation of handhelds and their classic Gameboy.



It seems a little less portable than current gen, as there's no longer the option to fold it down. But strangely enough, I think that adds to its charm. Isn't there something beautiful in those old chunky mobile phones from the 80s?

80s retro cellphone
Source: http://analogoverdigital.tumblr.com/
And so, although we already have a perfectly fine 3DS that plays all the 3DS games in two-dimensions as well, I'll probably still be getting this on looks alone. Maybe I'm just that superficial...

The Nintendo 2DS is being released on October 12th 2013 (Same as Pokemon X and Y, of course) and you can pre-order the Black And Blue or White and Red versions for £109 over at GAME now!

I'm definitely interested, but what do you guys think about the 'step backwards'?

No comments:

Post a Comment